Patient portals are hot in demand these days. Almost every EMR vendor is offering this facility along with their product as physicians look to meet advanced regulatory requirements and improve patient engagement.
But patients are not the only beneficiary of these portals. Physicians are also benefiting as they are improving their workflows and practice efficiencies.
Let’s take a look at how patient portals are beneficial for physicians:
1. Patient satisfaction: One of the most important aspects for physicians these days is to ensure complete patient satisfaction and engagement. They are doing that by using systems which are capable of offering patient portals and helping them improve delivery of coordinated care.
2. Reduced hassle: Not only the patients are able to view their medical health data by accessing patient portals, the physicians can also exchange messages with their patients and set up appointments.
3. Sharing with referring providers: Another advantage of patient portals is that patient data can be shared with every stakeholder in the healthcare continuum including referring providers, etc.
4. Streamlined workflows: Through patient portals, automation of administrative and operational processes through online personal healthcare system is made possible.
5. HIPPA compliance: While patient portals are used largely to improve shared decision making, they are also used to comply with HIPAA information security certifications and regulatory requirements such as Meaningful Use Stage 2.
6. Disease management: Through automated, condition-specific messages, reminders and alerts, disease management becomes easy for providers.
7. Higher ratings: Physicians can improve their patient-satisfaction ratings if they are using a top-of-the-line patient portal.
These are some of the features of patient portals which are not only beneficial for patients, but also for providers.